For a long time I have been wanting to try my hand at making my own laundry soap. I finally tried it and I love it! Very easy, very cheap, and it works great!
1 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
2 cups washing soda
Lots of hot water
A clean 5 gallon bucket with a lid
An empty liquid laundry soap bottle
Put the grated soap into a saucepan. Add enough hot water to cover the soap plus 1-2 inches. Heat the soap and water on medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Keep heating until the mixture is smooth. When the mixture is smooth, pour the mixture into your bucket. Add hot water until the bucket is about 3/4 full. I used a pitcher to add the water so I didn't have too many suds from the soap. Add washing soda to bucket and stir well. Add more water to fill up the bucket and stir again. Put the lid on your bucket and let it sit overnight. After cooling the mixture will thicken into kind of a globby mess - that's fine. Fill up an empty laundry soap bottle (I use a funnel with a large opening and the globs pass thru fine). To get rid of the globs I shake the soap after it's been put into the bottle and it seems to help. I use 2 capfuls from my laundry soap bottle per load.
4 comments:
I remember my grandma making her own soap. A lot of young people are doing it now for gifts. Doylene
Thanks for posting this! I got the link to this at organizing junkie! I'm getting married in just over 2 months and I want to save money every way we can--we might definitely try this!
i still have the plm instead of throwing thier own clothes in thier basket, they throw it down teh stairs.. i have a basket down there .. and its a never ending battle with laundry .. i do few loads a day with my six kids and hang them to dry but in winter and chillier days i use dryer
its impossible to stay on top of orgnaizing the laundry.. i keep my towels separted from clothes and i dont usually separate except lites and darks when i do a few its usually one lites colors and another load of dark colors and then towels... of their clotes when i can
Post a Comment